So, apparently yesterday was Shrove (or Pancake) Tuesday. And according to Wikipedia, that has something to do with Lent, Easter and fasting. All I heard was pancakes. Mmm pancakes! I had actually been planning on making these savoury pancakes for dinner sometime this week since my boyfriend ever so subtly brought all the ingredients home one day. So, rather than making them for dinner on a Wednesday or even (heaven forbid!) a Thursday, I thought I would make them on Pancake Tuesday!
This is a recipe of my mum’s (like most of my recipes) and I remember looking at her like she was bat-shit crazy when I was fourteen and asked what was for dinner and she replied with, “Savoury Pancakes!”. Seriously, mum? Gross.
How surprised I was upon tasting these pancakes, with chicken and bacon in them, to discover that they were delicious! (I had thought she was making normal sweet pancakes and putting meat and cheese into it! Mamma you crazy!)
This recipe makes about 7 medium pancakes so only serves about 2 well, it is best to double for any more people.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1¼ – 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup chopped, cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped spring onions
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- A good grinding of pepper
- ½ – 1 cup cheese, grated
- ½ – 1 cup chicken, chopped (optional)
- Oil for greasing pan
- Sift the flour and salt together
- Mix the beaten egg and milk together and pour over the flour mixture, folding through gently with a rubber spatula or large metal spoon (the mixture will still be lumpy)
- Add bacon, spring onions, sauce, pepper, cheese and chicken and fold in lightly
- Heat a large heavy frying pan or griddle iron and grease the surface lightly
- Place the mixture on in spoonfuls, and cook on both sides
- Lift onto a cloth-covered cake cooler
- Serve with butter on top
Enjoy! And thank you to ediblesubstance for inspiring me to write a Pancake Tuesday post!