For those of you planning on making my muesli (recipe here) I thought I would share with you my secret wonder ingredient that is sure to make your muesli irresistible. Unless of course you don’t like coconut (what am I saying, who doesn’t like coconut, I mean really).
And the wonder ingredient is….(drum roll please)…..
Fruit for Life’s Roasted Coconut Chips
Available with the dried fruit in the baking section at Woolworths, Coles and Franklin’s (NSW) and with your coconut milk at your local Harris Farm (NSW).
Use this information wisely. And enjoy your muesli!
I make a mean muesli. I originally started making and toasting my own muesli as a result of a) being a poor student and not wanting to pay for expensive cereal ($8 a box! Are you kidding me!?), b) finding it impossible to find muesli in the shops with no almonds (I’m allergic) and c) wanting a healthy breakfast alternative to toast and sugary cereals. I’ve recently made 5 batches of my muesli for Christmas presents (packaged in lovely jars with pretty labels) for family and friends and it has received rave reviews.
Now, below is a basic how to. It’s not the kind of recipe where food science is particularly important so it’s pretty hard to screw it up. Basically, just make sure you have more rolled oats than any other ingredient and you should be fine. I’ve made it countless times and it’s never exactly the same as I just go with what I feel like at the time, try out new things and use what I have in my cupboard. Feel free to add or deduct fruit, seeds, nuts etc to your taste.
- 1kg rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit (apples, pears, apricot etc)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts (or any nuts of your choice)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 – 1 cup fruit juice
- Heat oven to 160° C
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (oats, nuts, seeds, coconut)
- In a mug, combine juice and honey and heat in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until honey has melted
- Pour juice and honey mixture over dry ingredients and mix until coated
- Spread out mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 20-30min or until golden brown, ensuring you stir regularly to prevent burning
- Meanwhile, chop up fruit
- Once browned to your liking, remove from oven and mix in fruit
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
Homemade Toasted Muesli for Gifts