I absolutely love having friends over for dinner, it’s probably one of my most favourite things to do. I was lucky to have my favourite pair of sisters around to our apartment for dinner over the weekend, both of them being vegetarian.
My mum is also a vego (as well as being a rockstar cook) so I grew up eating a lot of yummy vegetarian meals. For my mum’s birthday last year I complied all of her favourite recipes which I typed up and printed out to make her very own recipe book.
As such, I happen to have access to all of my mums amazing recipes on my laptop. Which is where I found this yummy little pearler. She has made it for the family before but with tuna instead of chickpeas (she’s one of those vegetarians that still eats seafood, which I don’t get. Don’t fish don’t have feelings too?). Anyway, mum had a note on her recipe that said that you can replace the tuna with chickpeas to make it suitable for vegos, so that is just what I did. And it was ever so yummy! Feel free to try either version, or come up with something else to substitute!
Thai Sweet Potato & Chickpea PattiesServes 6
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 gold sweet potatoes, steamed and well mashed (alternatively pumpkin)
- 400g tin chickpeas, mashed (alternatively tuna in spring water, drained and flaked)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (plus extra for serving)
- A few shakes of garam masala
- 1 egg yolk
- Flour and extra garam masala
- Olive oil, for frying
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger and ¾ of the coriander in a large bowl
- Add potatoes and stir to combine
- Add tuna and combine
- Then add sauce, spice and egg yolk and mix
- Form into balls using salad spoon and toss in flour seasoned with extra garam masala
- Refrigerate or freeze 10 – 15minutes
- Shallow fry in olive oil
- Serve on a bed of salad with sweet chilli sauce and coriander to garnish